Friday 14 October 2011

A Daunting Haunting - or Maybe Not...

“A Haunting we Shall Go...”
As we are coming up to Halloween I thought I would post on something 'sort of' topical! Well, an intriguing word, really...
I looked up the word ‘haunting’ in my dictionary and found it could refer to many different things. For instance, the most obvious to me is a ghost-type haunting which I guess we have all heard of even if we don’t believe in that sort of thing.
Then there is the disturbing, provocative meaning of the word, such as in a ‘haunting melody’. Another meaning is when we say someone is possessed or jinxed – they may be ‘haunted by’ someone or something. Then again there is the expression we use when someone looks very worried or troubled by something – they may look ‘haunted’. My last offering is to use the word haunt when we mean a hideaway or den or even a normal place that we regularly return to.
All these words say ‘creepy’ to me - at least in the context of writing thrillers. Especially supernatural thrillers…
Even the notion of a haunting, sorrowful tune can be pretty sinister if it’s used in the right scenario. As for ghost haunting – well, we all know that can be scary, if handled properly… Haunting by other supernatural beings such as a demon/devil can be made to be pretty Spine-chilling too – witness the terrifying ‘Exorcist’ (for it’s time a brilliant movie) but these stories can equally be a lot like an old ‘b movie’ and they can be steeped in stereotypes and cliché.
Even the ‘haunt’ as a familiar place can be made to feel eerie with the addition of one or two strange and unfamiliar things. Even as I am writing this a few ideas have tickled my imagination and I am a little excited at the prospect of getting to my regular haunt ( in front of my PC) to jot a few words down!
So do you ever pause to think of intriguing words and allow them to whisper in the ears of your muse?

7 comments:

  1. Those descriptions tickled my imagination, too! It's amazing what a single word can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haunting seems to have followed me along as I wrote my book. Even the word 'haunting' already sends chills up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word "haunting" has always conjured up unsettling feelings for me. The same for "evil" and "devil" I found your blog on the "pay it forward" blogfest and am glad I discovered you.

    I write mystery, suspense & mostly thrillers (legal thrillers). I read all thrillers. I will be back to read more and check out more of your blog and your website and your work after I visit some more blogs from the blogfest.

    It is nice to meet you.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new favorite word, sort of in the same vein, sort of, is gloaming. It means, dusk or twilight. But it conjures up so much more for me. He road through the gloaming streets of London. Doesn't that sound eery?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat. I'm here as the co-host from the Pay It Forward blogfest. Thanks so much for signing up.

    And I wasn't following your blog until just now, so the fest is working!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'm with Anne, I love 'gloaming'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete